Strauss, C., Taylor, B. L., Gu, J., Kuyken, W., Baer, R., Jones, F., & Cavanagh, K. (2016). What is Compassion and How Can We Measure it? A Review of Definitions and Measures. Clinical Psychology Review. Full draft ahead of inclusion in an issue.
- Compassion is recognized as important across many sectors of society.
- There is lack of consensus on definition and few self/observer-rated measures exist.
- Five elements of compassion are proposed after consolidating existing definitions.
- The psychometric properties of existing measures are poor, limiting their utility.
- A new measure of compassion with robust psychometric properties is needed.